What Is The Best Post Workout Supplement – Take This After Your Workout
You have just put in all the hard work of getting ready, going to the gym and working out. Wouldn’t you like to maximize all of this?
What you consume before, during and especially after your workout is done is extremely important.
What Is The Best Post Workout Supplement and when to take it is something I would like to explain the importance of. This short period after a workout is known to some as the ” Window of opportunity”.
When you are in this window after a workout your muscles are basically begging for nutrients to repair muscle growth and strength. If the window is opening directly after your workout, when does it close?
There is a lot of research that suggests that window will close around the 2nd hour.
It’s still OK if you go past that but I suggest having a post workout supplement as soon as you are done with your workout for the maximum benefits. Anyone who has ever worked out with me has either seen me take my post workout to the gym to consume immediately after my workout.
Or they have seen me run right to the blender and make a post workout shake within10 minutes of leaving the gym.
If I could recommend the absolute best time to take a post workout shake it would be as soon as you finish your last set and rack the weights.
WHAT INGREDIENTS SHOULD BE IN IT
- BRANCH CHAIN AMINO ACIDS These are the basic building blocks of your muscle protein and include Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine. The most important of the 3 Branch chain amino acids Leucine can kick start muscle growth. You want to make sure your post workout has at least 5 grams total of these BCAA’s and 3 grams being from Leucine.
- CREATINE One of the best supplements for muscle building and should be taken both Pre and Post workout. There are many different kinds of Creatine but I suggest finding a supplement like the one I recommend that has Creatine Hydrochloride(HCL). When you take HCL it dissolves faster, you don’t have bloating and less is required. In solubility scores which is how well creatine mixes and absorbed. Hydrochloride was much higher than other common forms like Monohydrate. A good amount is at least 2 grams in your post workout supplement.
- QUICK CARBOHYDRATES You may not have heard these words but examples would be Dextrose(Pixy Stix) or Maltodextrin and Glucose. Maltodextrin is a white powder made from rice, corn, wheat or potato starch and extremely high on the Glycemic index. You want your post workout carbs to be high on the glycemic index because they digest much faster. Dextrose is a simple sugar made from corn so the body can quickly use it as energy. Glucose or blood sugar, is one of the bodies preferred sources as energy. You can get glucose from breads, fruits and vegetables but look for high glycemic choices post workout. There are also whole foods that are pretty high on the glycemic index like Watermelon and Pineapple
- PROTEIN The most rapidly dissolving form like Whey Isolate should be your protein of choice. This is worth spending the extra buck for isolate over other proteins like concentrate or hemp that dissolve at a slower absorption rate. The goal is to provide your body with enough protein post workout to help repair muscle and encourage muscle growth. I usually mix in protein to my post workout supplement because most of the time it’s not already included. You can buy unflavored if you don’t want to mess with the taste.
- BETA ALANINE:This is another ingredient I like to be included in my Pre and Post workout. Beta is like Creatine because it’s most effective with consistent use. There has been some studies combining Beta Alanine with Creatine. Over a 10-week period the group that combined the 2 ingredients had better body fat reduction and increase in lean body mass. Beta Alanine works to build up carnosine levels which help increase muscle strength and exercise performance.
- GLUTAMINE The main purpose of glutamine is muscle recovery but it’s also a building block your body needs to make protein and build muscle.Glutamine helps repair the muscle damage you have cause during a workout. We have all had great workouts but then wake up the next day extremely sore and can barely move. This is when you need to create the right internal environment with Glutamine to help your muscles recover.
THE MAIN PURPOSES OF A POST WORKOUT SUPPLEMENT
Replenishing Glycogen is one of the main reasons for a post workout supplement.
This is when you are eating those fast digesting carbs immediately after your workout to replace the glycogen you burned during your workout. As you train your main source of energy and fuel is glycogen.
If you are doing a very high volume and intensity workout you will definitely burn a good amount of glycogen.
This is very important for growth but another reason I take fast digesting carbs is because sometimes I feel wiped out after a workout but these fast digesting carbs will make me feel more lively and a fresher feeling.
Some of these ingredients play a big part in decreasing Protein Breakdown and increasing Protein synthesis.
This is very important for muscle growth.
Like I mentioned in the beginning this is maximizing all the hard work you have put in. The goal when weight training is to gain muscle isn’t it?
Then if each of the ingredients have shown to all have in impact in increase muscle growth and recovery why wouldn’t you want to give it try.
When I ask this same question to friends the answer I usually get is price.
My response is usually asking them how much they spent Friday night at the bar or restaurants. Sometimes it’s enough on alcoholic drinks that if spent on a good supplement that amount would last them a whole month.
If you are really serious about wanting to gain muscle you have to cut some bad habits out.
WHY I CHOOSE POST JYM AS MY CHOICE
I used to buy 4 supplements separately that are all found in Post Jym by itself.
When I calculated how much I was spending on all 4 it was more than just buying this 1 supplement with all 4 ingredients already included.
Even the Creatine included was the best form on the market.
The amount also in each serving is exactly what I look for. There is also NO added fillers of junk in this supplement.
Everything is good quality ingredients that actually work. I bought this supplement when it first came out and there were no reviews or much talk about it.
Knowing what I know over the years of researching, I knew this would some day be one of the top selling supplements and possibly the top.
You will not find anything hidden in Pro Jym or marketing like blends or just the word BCAA on the label.
Every single ingredient is listed and how much. This is not the case for a lot of supplements out there. With Post Jym you know what you are getting and what you are getting is quality ingredients.
I have also tried about 10 other post workout supplements over the years and this one taste the best in my opinion.
I look forward to drinking it because of the taste and knowing how all my hard work in the jym is getting the best maximizing ingredients.
The inventor of Post Jym is in my opinion the most knowledgeable in the fitness industry.
Jim Stoppani or Dr Stoppani received his doctorate in exercise physiology with a minor in biochemistry from the University of Connecticut.
After he graduated there he served as a postdoctoral research fellow in the prestigious John B. Pierce Laboratory and Department of Cellular and Molecular Physiology at YALE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF MEDICINE, where he investigated the effects of exercise and diet on gene regulation in muscle tissue.
In 2002, Dr. Stoppani was awarded the Gatorade Beginning Investigator in Exercise Science Award by the American Physiological Society for his groundbreaking research.
Jim has dedicated his life to researching and investigating diets, supplement ingredients and nutrition at one of the top schools in the world.
This makes me feel like i’m in good hands. I’m also someone who has done a ton of research in the past.
This used to take up a lot of my time but now I just take his word and buy his supplements.
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR
I used to look for what ever Post workout supplement was the lowest price and usually purchased that one. This was until I realized that even though it was cheaper, there really wasn’t any useful ingredients.
Even when they did have some of my top 5 I look for, the doses were very low.
When you really look at what Post Jym has included and compare it to other supplements you then realize it’s worth every penny. Some of the cheapest supplements are an absolute waste of money but they have great marketing.
Let me give you an example.
In Post Jym for the most important BCAA called Leucine there are 108 Grams total.
If you went online and searched for 100 grams of Leucine by itself you will find it at around $14.00. That is more than 1/3 of the total price in Post Jym for just 1 of his many quality ingredients.
Save yourself some time and money and just buy 1 quality supplement like Post Jym!
I think it’s extremely important to eat a healthy whole food meal post workout. You may be wondering why I don’t instead of a supplement.
Whole foods do not digest as quickly as a liquid and we want to nutrients in our body as quickly as possible. I’m also not that hungry after a workout sometimes, so it’s much easier to drink a shake that actually taste pretty good.
The last reason which is extremely important would be the preparation time.
You can mix your shake with water, shake it up and be done in 20 seconds. If you are consuming a whole food post workout that can take a while to prepare. This might keep you from deciding to have something post workout.
“We Don’t Stop Exercising Because We Grow Old, We Grow Old Because We Stop Exercising”